Friday, October 31, 2014

... my Week on Friday.. 31.Oct.2014..

.. Hello everyone...
 well ... I have had a busy week....

Mum was happy to win a tray of lamb chops at Bingo on Monday....  we had them for tea .. lovely.

Hubby and I worked in the garden doing a lot of tidying up on Tuesday ....and we decided to cut down the unruly Strelitzia or Bird of Paradise plant out the front of the house.
We did thisd on Wednesday and it took the whole morning...
...have a look..

                 .... part one done........
                                 ..... part two done......
We are all very happy with the result. I like the broad leaf Bird of Paradise better than the long straggly type... and now that we have matching plants I'm very happy....


My poor hubby put his back out while doing he garden and it looks like he wont be able to install the new kitchen bench in time for our Christmas Party in three weeks time...
so I got busy and yesterday  I bought heave duty contact in a checker plate pattern with a stainless steel look....
and......
..... I had a lot of fun covering the kitchen and dining room bench tops...
                                          ..Kitchen bench .....
                                   ....... dining room bench .....
                    .... and the full effect of this look ... each bench cost me $5  in contact to do... Bargain ..
   ..... I love the look... but it is only temporary  cover up until hubby can replace them with new tops.
Hubby doesn't like it I'm sad to say...


.Some more Epyphillum flowers..... I really love these flowers but they only last a day or two....


.. and this is the other kind of cactus flowers that grow on the same kind of plant as the Zygo cactus... aren't they beautiful....

All the invites for our Christmas get together in 3 weeks have been sent ... the menu  has been planned... we only have a couple of small areas outside to re-arrange for extra seating  on the day...
... AND..... I've started putting up some decorations..... but more of that later....

Have a great weekend.. and I'll see you on Tuesday...

Hugs and Blessings..
Barb xx

10 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job on those counters, Barb. It is a nice "temporary" solution! Your flowers are lovely, too. Hope your hubby's back gets better soon. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan... our get together is in 3 wees and I've asked hubby to take things easy so he will be pain free and able to enjoy the party day...
      Hugs,,Barb xx

      Delete
  2. Yay! Great changes inside and out! Love the colours of those gorgeous flowers, Barb! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish..... it's all coming together nicely... have told hubby to take things easy and rest a bit so he can enjoy the get together as pain free as possible..... Hugs.. Barb xx

      Delete
  3. They do look good I didn't think they were so shiny.
    If you cut your bird of paradise do they come back better, mine looks a bit sick.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..from what I read on google te bird of paradise should come back well... we poisoned the one we cut down.... we don't want it to re-grow...
    Hugs .. Barb xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not surprised hubby put his back out, removing the root ball of a strelitzia is a tow truck job! I hope he recovers in time to enjoy the Christmas get together.
    I like that steel plate look! I didn't know you could get contact like that. I'd love that look in my kitchen but I think the housing trust wouldn't approve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .. hi River... hubby didn't dig the root ball of the strelitizia out ..he just cut it down in 3 stages until it was at ground level and then he poisoned it.... put bricks around it and a frame on the ricks for the other broad leaf strelitizia to sit on..... . but the bending was too much for his back... he did try to dig it out about 20 years ago and nearly killed himself with the effort and got nowhere... so the chop and poison was my idea .... took him 20 years to agree...
    The steel plate contact is great... I'd never seen it before... must be new... Hugs and Blessings...
    Barb xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que bonitas fotos, me ha encantado tu blog.
    Justo cuando comienzan los primeros fríos y nos apetece más acurrucarse a la lumbre, nos llega una de las celebraciones más tradicionales del año: la castañada.
    Seguro que muchos de vosotros no resistiríamos la tentación de comerse un buen puñado de castañas calentitas. Pero sabeu cuál es el origen de esta fiesta? ¿Por qué, año tras año, cuando llega el otoño, nos gusta reunirnos con la familia o con los amigos para tostar las castañas y comérnoslo las juntos y por eso adornamos la casa. Os explicare algunas razones y cómo decorar el hogar para esta ocasion, t'expero
    Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .. Hello Julia.... thank you for visiting my blog... I'm happy you like my photos.....
      I've never eaten chestnuts...I would like to try some..
      I like Autumn, it's my favourite season.. we are in Spring here in Australia....
      hugs... Barb xx

      Delete