Sunday, April 13, 2014

hello to de-cluttering...

Hello ...I've joined a site on FB that helps and encourages you to de-clutter your home and life.....

It's wonderful.

I've sent just over 1600 'things' out of my house in 6 weeks.   ( We call it Tossing)
These things are recycled, put in the rubbish bin, passed on to whoever wants them, sold or donated to charity.

The site  is ......http://www.pinterest.com/in8organising/

The strategy is to Toss out 8 things or more a day  .... or clean out a drawer or cupboard for 8 minutes.
It works..

I finally got into the roof and sorted and Tossed my Owl and Shoe collections ...they have been stored for 6 years...
There were 135 Owls and 73 in the ornamental shoe and accessories collection. My family took most of these because they had bought many of them for me.........This was quite an emotional exercise for me.

I have tossed/cleaned out from most rooms of my house and it's starting to look lighter and fresher...
Mum's not allowed to drink green and herbal teas because of the potassium..... so these went to my daughter...

My son and my girl friend each had stored a box of books at our house...... now gone... 108 books between them... out of my house..wonderful...

I'm sure you get the idea...
It's been very rewarding to see less in drawers and cupboards ...
The more I'm Tossing the more my way of looking at my possessions is changing..... and I realise how little I really need to be happy...

Hubby is thinking of going through his things now... (it's catching)

Bye for now..... Hugs and Blessings...
Barb xxx

13 comments:

  1. I've been a sorter and tosser for many years, so there's not a lot of stuff in my house. A few artful small displays...BUT, now I have a kitten who leaps onto most surfaces and sends things flying, so I've had to remove things from their usual place and cram them all onto the side table in the lounge because Angel hasn't yet tried to jump up onto it. Key word "yet". That table usually holds five items, but currently holds about two dozen and now looks very untidy to me. I'm itching to put things back where they belong....
    They aren't ornaments.
    I love all your owls and shoes, but if they are only stored and not on display, then letting go of them is probably a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of a few artful small displays.......
      My family took most of the owls and shoes and I have kept a small selection here, so all will be enjoyed now..not stuck in the roof lol :)
      I love the sound of your Angel... I'm a cat lover from way back and would love to have a cat again but with a dog who lives in the back room and a Mother who hates animals in the house .. that ain't gonna happen...
      Give Angel a big cuddle from me...
      Hugs and Blessings..
      Barb xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, look at you go, Barbara :) It always feels good to de-clutter - I hope it continues to go well for you :)

    Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I regularly 'do' my pantry cupboard for use by dates and like to keep my plastic containers down to a minimum... but this is looking at the whole house.... it's a surprise how much stuff we've kept.....
      The owls and shoes were hard to pass on but I've kept a small selection for here and I'm glad that the rest will be enjoyed by others now...
      Hugs and Blessings
      Barb xxx

      Delete
  3. You're doing brilliantly, Barb! I know how hard is for you to let go of some of those things. Books are definitely the toughest for me!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are hard to part with... but Hubby has downloaded most of the authors we had collected... so these books are electronic now and he gave me a 'reader' so I'm happy. Still have over 300 books but they live in the two bookcases now... no spillovers... everything neat... I love it...
      Hugs and Blessings ..
      Barb xxx

      Delete
  4. Barb, that's amazing. Good for you.

    I'd better get to that site pronto! Thanks for the thumbs up. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I love the concept this lady teaches...... 'pick a spot and de-clutter for 8 minutes or toss out 8 things a day'.....
      Eight is a good number it's 'doable' and for me this is working...
      Hubby is starting to join me in this.... how great is that...
      Thanks for the encouragement... Hugs and Blessings..
      Barb xxx

      Delete
  5. Good for you Barb, Next time you visit you should go out to the shed with the beer fairy and teach him how to throw out, I've moved most of our tools into the house becauseI couldn't find anything in our shed.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going through other peoples 'treasures'....... the Beer Fairy had better watch out ...I just might talk him into 'doing' the shed.... lol
      Hope we win at Bingo on Monday.......
      Hugs ... Barb xx

      Delete
  6. 1600??? Wow, Barb!
    I'm always paring down and resisting bringing more in. Tossing is a favorite pastime of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...the numbers are surprising when every little thing is counted.... some are recycled and some donated to charity...and some to the rubbish bin. Tossing is fast becoming an addictive.. Hugs and Blessings...
    Barb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I don't know it you'll see this, but I love this. Yours is the second post today alone that I have seen about this site and the tossing. I MUST go find it!!!

    ReplyDelete