Monday, May 6, 2013

In a Pickle

I have spent the week end peeling what seems like a mountain of chokos ....

Our two vines have produced excessively well due to our warm Autumn.....



 
 
 
 
 
 
This weekend I set out to have a cooking marathon to use up some of our crop.....

 this is the base for jam, on the left. soaking in  pineapple and sugar ... and pickles on the right. soaking in salt brine.. .... this was an overnight soak.............



 
This is the delicious Pineapple/choko Jam and a bottle of Pineapple/choko Syrup which can be used over ice cream or with soda water as a refreshing drink .....



This is the Choko Pickles which unfortunately was cooked with too much salt...disaster.......
this is the fifth jug of hot water I'm putting through the mixture to rinse out as much salt as possible.......
now, I'm re-cooking the mixture with my very sweet Pinapple Syrup in an effort to rescue the pickles.........
 
The result was  a very tasty jar of Choko Pickles........... so pleased the rescue worked........



Here is my darling Hubby scrubbing the pot I burnt ..... and more chokos waiting to be cooked.....

 Here is my white dish cloth and blue and white scrub brush dyed Tumeric Yellow......


...and here they are after an overnight soak in a weak bleach mix.... much better.....



I also made Choko Relish with dates and ginger, sweet and tasty on meat.... and Greek style Choko and Tomato  Relish........





This is a beautiful thick Choko Soup made with onion, bacon rice and curry powder....... it was delicious with Parmasen Cheese and fresh toast .........
Definately more soup coming up for Winter.........Yummo .....


Hugs and Blessings
Barb  xxx





                                                                                                                                              
 

6 comments:

  1. I must try these, as the vine you gave me is doing very well and a couple who live down the road have a very productive vine and often give us some, our vine is not producing yet as with the passiofruit vine but I'm expecting great things next year.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad the vine is doing ok for you..... the favourite way we eat our chokos is boiled or steamed with butter and pepper and salt on them with our regular veges......but with excess you have to be creative...
      Barb xxx

      Delete
  2. I've never grown chokos, but lived near someone who did once and they gave us some every year. I never knew what to do with them, so used them as filler vegetables in soups and spaghetti sauces. I've heard about choko jam but never seen it anywhere, I didn't know people still made it. I'm glad your pickles turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... the jam was made with pineapple, so it does taste lovely .....we slice them and bbq them, too.......whatever you do with other veges, you can do with chokos......
      Barb xxxx

      Delete
  3. Well you have been a very busy girl, Barb!!
    Love the pics and creative ideas for using up chokos :-)
    Everything looks fantastic and tastes wonderful.
    Thanks so much for sharing your harvest with us - hubby and I are really enjoying the "FRUITS OF YOUR LABOUR" lol!
    lots of love and {{hugs}}..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. On Friday, May 10...Hi Barb. I am unfamiliar with chokos. Sound interesting, though. How is your dear Mum doing? Poor dear. I was sorry to hear she had a fall. That must have been scary for her. But she's a strong lady. Hope she's MUCH better. So glad she has such a wonderful daughter.

    Barb, thanks for all visits and comments to my blog. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete