Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Happy Choko Easter

We are all hearing challenged in my home, and when I saw this Easter card I just had to share it with everyone.....







Again, this week , I'd like to share more choko/chayote stuff.......
This vege comes from Central America and is a good scorce of vit.C and fibre.
We like it sliced and cooked on the b.b.q .... or .... boiled and eaten with butter,salt and pepper ....delish...

When we have an overabundance of chokos, I try to find different ways to prepare them.

This week I made soup with just chokos and herbs and server it with rice.....


some basic flavours

peeling under water

drain and mash...you can make he soup thinner by adding
back some of the drained flavoured water

I kept it thick and added  some cooked garlic rice
Mum and Hubby liked it......



Now for Dessert

Just cover chayote with water and add sugar
bring to boil and cook until soft

drain and mash

put into containers and add jelly crystals directly
into hot mixture .. stir thoroughly

put in fridge to set

a lovely firm dessert....goes well on it's own
or with any topping of choice



The water that is drained  from the chokos can be used  a drink...........hot or cold....sweet or savory.  

Again.......Happy Easter to all.

God Bless
Barb from Australia

joining with Trish at  Simply Sweet! 

7 comments:

  1. Haha!! LOVE the card, Barb!
    Yes..I can see how you'd relate to that sweet bunny ;-D
    You are really "on a roll" with these great choko recipes.
    I would never have thought of a choko jelly dish - it looks really good!
    Your little kitchen has been humming this week..I bet it has smelt wonderful too!
    Thanks for sharing all these imaginative ideas on how we can use chokos.
    Love and big {{hugs}}
    Trish xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for explaining what Choko's are! I will try to see if we have anything like that here in Arizona. Your recipes look so yummy! I so enjoy stopping by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute card!
    Interesting about the Choko's, never had them before, in fact, no even sure I have ever seen them before.
    Very Interesting, your recipes looked very good tho.
    Blessing for a Very Happy Easter,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb,

    The card made me laugh, thanks for sharing it.
    Well, it's after 11:00 PM here in California, and now your photos have made me hungry, so I'm off to have a snack :o).

    God bless you, and have a very wonderfully blessed Easter with your family.
    ~ Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb-

    I'm hearing impaired too, so I thought the card was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh tonight. Choko is new to me, but it does look good.I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if we have that in the States. Thanks for stopping by to comment on my Easter eggs. I hope you have a wonderful Easter holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb, Cute card :-D
    Wow Choko's! I am wondering if they are a squash?
    My grocery store has a rare fruit section I wonder if they will ever carry them? :-D
    Happy Resurrection Day! Hugs and Blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see these at the asian vegetable market all the time and never knew what to do with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete