Thursday, April 14, 2011

Washing Basket Table

Hello everyone,
About 45 years ago my Dad made this outdoor table for my Mum to put the basket of washing on so she wouldn't have to bend to hang out the wash.After Dad died and Mum moved into a small unit, the table was used as a pot-plant stand in my yard.
Today I cleaned up the table and brought it into the house. I recovered the top in what is supposed to be "rustic style" and put the wooden bowls my husband made on the table. I think it looks great.
My 'simple pleasure' this week is finding a new use for an old favourite piece of family history.

Linking with Dayle at  alittleofthisandthat2.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. what a great idea and to keep your father's presence in your home like that is a gift. I think it looks awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The memories are wonderful, but when you have something tangible it is even better.

    Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...I too love to find new uses for "older" things...and with this you get to relive the memory each time you look at this table. Lovely story.

    Thanks for sharing
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh, that was so thoughtful of your Dad to think of how to make your Mum's wash hanging chore a bit easier. Hope you keep that table forever! Take care. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to be able to keep the family memories and treasures near at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gift that keeps on giving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so special, Barb. I love old pieces, much more than new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I get this one. I have a very special old pine piece that was handmade and is dear to my heart. I've never blogged about it. I think your simple pleasure might inspire a post.

    Happy Simple Pleasures Thursday. I love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely and I know it is a treasure to you because of the history behind it. A true family heirloom.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barb - sorry I'm late get back!!
    I read this before and left without commenting, ugh!
    Dad's table looks really great :-D
    I bet Mum is glad to see it having a new lease on life too!
    I think the wooden bowl suits it too -well done!
    love..Trish

    ReplyDelete